Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thu 9-Apr-10

Simon apparently did well through the night - no need to use the mechanical ventilator; pneumonia under control, blood pressure under control.  His nurse reduced the fentanyl (pain medication) this morning because he seems pretty comfortable and doesn't resist any manipulations.  Yesterday he was placed in a near sitting position for several hours and handled it fine.

Today he is supposed to be evaluated by the neurologist and by a representative from Craig Hospital, a major brain-spinal cord injury rehab facility in Denver.  Hopefully we will figure out where he needs to go for rehab, in the next day or so.

POTENTIAL VISITORS PLEASE READ:

I received an email from a research colleague of Simon's, who experienced surgery for a brain tumor, herself.  She made the following comments:

"I am writing because you are allowing visits...that is great...BUT...when I was still in hospital and then the first few weeks at home it was very very exhausting to see people. Just getting up and doing the physio, bathing and getting dressed  was enough almost for the whole day!

"While I was still in hospital I loved to have the visits...but do not touch me...people talking was too much, it was a conflicting time as I wanted the people there but did not want to hear them or be touched...it was too much for me to handle ( too much to take in)...family was fine as long as they were there for short stints and not much talking . I know others are anxious but it is very very tiring and draining to take all that in...let them write cards. Those meant a lot to me as I could go back and see how caring everyone was ( when I was able to take it in)."

Sounds like good advice, from someone with a perspective that few of us could know - so, visitors, please keep her comments in mind when you come - I realize it is a long drive to MRC for a minimal interaction with someone you're very concerned about, but we need to do what's best for Simon!!

 Thanks again for all your concern and support -

Ann

6 comments:

  1. Good progress Ann...fingers still crossed!

    John F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear things are progressing and the pneumonia is under control,what a relief! Give Simon a hug for us all J&J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, I am with Simon every day. I've been through exactly the same thing he's going through. Trust, faith and belief, he will get back to the Simon we all know, respect and love. My fingers are crossed even as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann/Simon: I am the father (in NE) of Josh Roloff, your neighbor across from the school [facing north]; Josh has the blue GMC truck, Lexus SUV along with white trailer at his house. I have talked to Simon on occasion when I am in FC. Josh told me about Simon's misfortune, and I shared it with a colleague of yesteryear who is at U. of MN veterinary college- Mary O'Sullivan (can't remember her maiden name). Anyway, Mary now has given me your blogsite so I can follow Simon's progress. We will be praying for Simon's recovery! Val Rooff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Simon! Keep up the good work and be strong. We are standing by you night and day. Bless you. Jacki and Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann,
    We have only just heard about Simon's accident and convalescence. As you are witnessing you and Simon have an unbelievable network of friends and supporters which hopefully make this process easier to manage! To use a typical British/Aussie saying: "Simon is a tough old sod"! and so I know he will get through this like the champion he is. We wish you and Simon god's speed and thanks for doing such a fantastic job with updating us on his progress.

    Mat and Nancy Reeves

    ReplyDelete