Sunday, April 4, 2010

Mon 5-Apr-10

It's now a week since Simon was hit by a car whilst riding his bike.  It's been a long week for everyone waiting for positive news on Simon.
For Ann, Andrew and Sally, we can only imagine how difficult, emotional and tiring the week has been.  
And for Ann especially, our thoughts are constantly with you through this long and difficult recovery period for Simon.
Ann's report on Simon's condition today reflects Simon's physical situation stabilising, but a sense of frustration and disappointment at the lack of mental response, hopefully due to the heavy sedation Simon has been under.
Gus


"The short-term things are going fine (trach tube, feeding tube, blood pressure not too bad), but I am feeling discouraged about Simon's lack of awareness.  All week I've been hoping that all the sedative drugs are a large part of his grogginess - but this morning the propofol (the main sedative) was off for awhile, and although he did follow a few commands, it was very sluggish and inconsistent.  Of course, I realize there are probably residual drugs in his system, and that it's only a week since the injury, and so on and so on.  But it is still hard to be very optimistic.

Today he is getting a "PICC" line - a peripherally inserted central catheter - which is what they put in patients that might need an IV catheter for a longer period of time.
Ann"

4 comments:

  1. I can't express my heartbreak at hearing about Simon's accident. I am so sorry this happened. Ann, I can't imagine how difficult and frightening this has been for you.

    The brain is the most amazing gift we have and it's the place where miracles happen. Waiting is agony but I strongly believe Simon is in there and will make a great recovery. You are both incredibly strong people and a fantastic team--you will both get through this.

    Please know you are in my thoughts constantly and the strongest healing wishes I've got are headed straight to Simon.

    Hang in there,
    with love,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for setting up this site. I remember feeling so discouraged with Lynn Klisavage's struggle... her recovery has been amazing. I know Simon is just as tough and receiving wonderful care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann,
    Yours and Simon's friends from Cornell are keeping both of you in our thoughts and prayers. The two of you are such amazing, kind, generous people whom have influenced so many careers and touched so many lives. With love and best wishes for a steady recovery, Lisa Fortier, Alan Nixon, Susie Fubini, Rick Hackett, Norm Ducharme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ann,

    I wanted to send heart-felt support for both you and Simon. Word finally reached Grenada about the accident last week.

    I realize I am not the only person to tell you how influential you two were for me and my career, in ways you probably never recognized, but I have never forgotten, nor failed to appreciate all that you showed me. I think of you both more often than you know.

    Please tell Simon I am doing well, thanks to his amazing lab and the ability to show students so many different facets of veterinary medicine. He is simply the best!

    With all my love and support for a complete and speedy recovery!

    Kristin Chaney, DVM, DACVIM,DACVECC
    CSU Class of 2003

    ReplyDelete