Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sun 4-Apr-10 AM

Simon had a tracheostomy and a feeding tube (which enters the stomach via the abdominal wall) placed at around noon today.  Everything went very well, and he's just sleeping for the rest of the day.  His face looks great, now that the tubes are gone from his mouth.  His tongue is a bit swollen, but hopefully with the tube gone, that will resolve soon.

No one is making any predictions about how he'll do over the next few days, or how soon he'll be able to breathe for himself, etc.  But I talked to one of the nurses about eventual rehab, and she said patients usually go straight from ICU to an in-patient rehab facility.  For Simon, most likely that will be Craig Hospital in Denver, which is a world-class rehab facility, for brain and spinal cord injuries only.  There is another potential rehab facility not far from here, but it is not as specialized as Craig is.

Of course we are still going day-by-day, but at least it is helpful to me to have an IDEA of what comes next!

Ann

4 comments:

  1. Pamm and John expat Aussies in FTCApril 4, 2010 at 2:49 PM

    Just sending our wishes and prayers to you Simon and Ann and all your family. Get well soon mate - we Aussies are battlers and I know you are hanging in there. I also wortk for PVHS (non clinical) and I know there are many amazing nurses, assitants and providers providing care to you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann,
    I was so sorry to hear about Simon, and am hoping the best for his speedy recovery. He's a tough guy; if anyone can do it, it's Simon! I think your job is the harder one now, and I'm thinking about you a lot and hoping you are doing well. I have always admired you and Simon, both as doctors, and more importantly, people. I hate seeing bad things happen to wonderful people, and I hope this nightmare ends as quickly as possible.
    Take care,
    Lauren Prause

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ann,

    I think about you and Simon every day, wishing and praying for a full recovery. Know that I am thinking about you here in West Texas.
    Mary Carlson

    ReplyDelete