Friday, April 16, 2010

Thu 15-Apr PM

Today (Thursday) was Simon's 3rd full day at Craig Hospital, having arrived there at midday Monday.  I have to admit to a bit of culture shock, going from one-on-one attention in an intensive care unit at a brand-new hospital (Medical Center of the Rockies), to sharing nurses and aides at a rehab center in an older, more urban setting.  At Craig, the staff wear street clothes, not scrub or uniforms, so it's sometimes difficult to tell who's who!!  But I'm learning firsthand what a fantastic place it really is.

Simon was very restless before and during the drive to Craig, and has continued to be so; he hasn't really slept much in the past few days.  However, the staff all say that the first few days always seem chaotic, with meeting everyone and having diagnostic tests and all sorts of evaluations.  Once all of that is over, he will have a pretty consistent routine.  Although he is still being treated for some medical problems (which are getting under control), he has started some preliminary rehabilitation.  The past 2 days, he has been upright in a wheelchair for long periods, going to physical, occupational, and speech therapy.  He has periods of responsiveness, but still "zones out" a lot of the time, which is typical after brain injuries.  He can't speak yet, because he still has a tracheostomy, but hopefully next week they will start "weaning" him off that.  Overall, he is going in the right direction, albeit slowly!

A lot of friends have asked about visiting.  Right now, Simon is so tired that he needs to rest whenever he can, and whatever energy and focus he has, needs to be reserved for therapy.  I hope that before too long, he will be able to receive visitors, particularly on Saturdays and Sundays, when there is no therapy scheduled.  So - those of you in our area - stay tuned!!

Thanks again for all your good wishes and encouragement.  I do save every card and email, so that Simon will eventually be able to peruse them himself!!

Ann

9 comments:

  1. Keep up the great work Ann!

    Regards to the aussie

    John F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on all the forward steps! I'm thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Wagner -
    I was so sorry to hear about Dr. Turner's accident but am very encouraged by what I read here today. I have had a couple of friends rehab at Craig Hospital and cannot speak highly enough about the program.
    I live less than 5 minutes from Craig and have 2 extra bedrooms in my home. Please know that my home is open to anyone that may need/want a place to stay nearby - short or long term. Do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help!
    Andrea Carey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, my thoughts are with you and Simon. I'm so sorry that such a vital and fun guy has to go through this. But, we will keep positive thoughts, and hope he gets the best recovery possible. I've visited at Craig, and it's wonderful. Take good care, Mary Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann asked me to post this email to her from our rowing colleague of "old times", Paul (emailed on 5-Apr). It sums up Simon's character well!:
    ----------------------------------------
    Hi Ann,

    I had the privilege of being a member of the winning 1968 Melbourne Uni intervarsity VIII, coxed by Simon (and stroked by Gus) in Perth almost 42 years ago. Simon relaxed us at the start (and unsettled the opposition) by cracking jokes . He displayed centimeter perfect steering over the 2 mile course with 2 bends. He inspired us with confidence with great calls as as he talked us though the race and we started to wear down our much faster starting opponents. He didn't lose his nerve and panic when we were still half a length down with a quarter of a mile to go. And just when the crew had almost reached our absolute physical limits, he knew exactly when to call for a final sprint and we passed the leading crew just before the line.

    In that race Simon showed his sense of humour, his intelligence, his judgement, his coolness under pressure, his ability to inspire others and his mental toughness.
    Even though this is an incredibly difficult time, I am sure those same qualities will help pull him through again.

    It was great to catch up with him last year in Melbourne at the 150th anniversary celebrations for MUBC and afterwards at lunch.

    Georgina and I send our thoughts and prayers and hope for some good news.

    With our very best wishes

    Paul McSweeney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann - just to say I am following along, love to you and Simon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann
    I was pruning the roses here and spraying the bloody aphids that seem to have infested them, and thought of Simon tending his roses - one of his great passions.
    Hopefully he'll be back looking after his roses again soon!!
    Cheers, Gus

    ReplyDelete
  8. From: John Whitney
    Dear Ann: I learned of Simons accident just tonight despite George Wright's attempts to contact me (I rarely check my email anymore). I read thru your website on his continuous strives to recovery. I enjoyed the story from Simon's rowing colleague back in his early school days and his humor and competitive nature. One of my favorite rememberance of Simon @OSU may not be as dramatic, but he taught me how to bet and handicap raindrops trickling down windows at the local pub on a rainy day. Made a few dollars. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers each day until he his well and home, and that is not an idle promise. john

    ReplyDelete
  9. So great to hear that Simon is making great progress. I just found this blog today through a link from the CVMA website. So many stories I remember him telling and jokes that he loved to crack with the MDs we worked with at CSU. My favorite was the joke about the sheep being 'fighting sheep' because they didn't have any upper incisors, and many of the MDs believed him!! Please let him know that one of the members of his sheep shaking crew sends her best hugs and kisses. And please let us all know if there is anything we can do to help you and Simon in his recovery!
    Mindi Dosch

    ReplyDelete