Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thu 6-May-10

Simon is continuing to progress.  The highlight of this week was that Simon and I were “okayed” to go walking – inside or outside – with no assistance other than me holding onto the back of his safety belt (no walker, no cane).  He does pretty well, although sometimes he forgets that he can’t afford to move quite as quickly as he would have, before the accident - one time he instinctively reached to turn on a lamp and nearly fell over!

Today, Simon's occupational therapist had him bake some brownies (it was probably the first time in his life he’d ever made something from a commercial mix!!).  It was a good exercise in reading directions, planning, being on his feet, moving around to find things, etc.

I always thought "speech therapy" was about talking, but we're learning that it's also about improving memory, flexibility of thinking, reaction time, processing information, solving problems, even some math!!!  Some of the questions and puzzles that Simon has to do are pretty challenging:  looking at a picture, putting it aside, and then answering questions about the details of the picture; rapid-fire number problems on the computer; filling in missing letters in a list of partial words; etc.

As a "homework" assignment,  Simon and I watched 2 videos on traumatic brain injuries.  A comment in one video that impressed me was from a lawyer who had had a TBI, but recovered apparently well.  He said he’d written a book since his injury, but even so, when he tries to cross a busy intersection as a pedestrian, he finds it overwhelmingly confusing!  It just illustrates how someone with great intelligence can still have trouble with everyday tasks after a TBI.

Thanks to everyone who has emailed regarding visiting - it is helping us keep to a manageable schedule!

Ann

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like he is progressing quite well. Keep up the good work, both of you!! Maybe you will be able to walk in sunshine and warm weather this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Ann.

    Please give him my best


    CEO Sth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please pass on our fondest thoughts and best wishes to Simon for a continued speedy and complete recovery. Tell him he is due for pancakes... As we live so close by, please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you or him! Best to you both! Rick, Jill and Donya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, great news about Simon. We think about both of you alot. Philippe & Jolie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon and I became good friends when I was a vet student in the early '80s, however we lost contact after his first accident. I was very saddened to learn of his accident from the AMVA news digest and was wondering how he was doing so today I found this blog after a little Googling. I'm very pleased to learn that he is doing better. My best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please send my best wishes to Simon.

    I look forward to reading this blog to hear the latest news, and I look forward to it even more now that the news is getting better and better!

    Thanks again for keeping up this blog, its been great for all the people who are thinking about Simon... actually it's amazing how many people Simon has positively influenced over the years. We're all thinking about both of you and we'll continue sending our positive vibes from San Diego.

    frank

    ps. i'm sure he'll be back to cooking his delicious pavalova (from scratch, of course) in no time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catching up on the blogs after missing a week or 2 (inundated with gigs - a GOOD thing!). Glad to hear things are progressing and you've been able to get outside for some walks (hopefully when the weather was better than today!). We continue to send our well wishes for further healing. Best, Colleen and Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr Turner, I am so glad to have found this blog. I was terribly upset to hear of your second accident and injury, and almost afraid to look on the net for an update.

    You probably don't know, but you were my favorite professor in vet school, even though I was more inclined toward small animals.

    I have a blog too. In your abundant spare time, lol, please feel free to read it for mental exercise. I have a cat practice in Los Angeles.

    I look forward to your continued progress.
    You already proved how tough you are back in 1986!

    ReplyDelete